Water Facts

  • The World Bank estimates that demand for water will rise 50 per cent by 2030, and the IWMI fears it could nearly double by 2050. There is only a finite amount of water available for human consumption and processing this water is an expensive operation. As a consequence it is wildly regarded that water will be viewed as the new oil within the next twenty years and as such the price for this commodity will rocket.
  • Planet Earth contains 320 million cubic miles of water, enough to cover the entire globe 1000 feet deep. We ourselves are 97% water when born and 75% water as adults. Yet water is a very scarce global resource. Oceans, lakes, streams and rivers contain 98% of the Earth’s water. The remaining 2% is in the soil, the atmosphere, the bodies of living organisms or frozen in glaziers and ice caps. Only 0.02% of the Earth’s water is available for drinking. National Botanic Garden of Wales
  • According to a report in the BBC last updated in 2008, “By cutting a minute off your shower time, you could save about 3,300 litres of water a year, saving 200kWh of energy – or enough to heat water for 6000 cups of coffee.
  • The earth is a closed system, similar to a terrarium, meaning that it rarely loses or gains extra matter. The same water that existed on the earth millions of years ago is still present today.
  • On average, each person in Britain and Ireland uses about 150 litres of water a day. We use water for washing ourselves, flushing the toilet, cleaning dishes, washing clothes, drinking and cooking. But your great grandparents managed with only about 18 litres. And the average person in the developing world uses 10 litres of water a day (about one toilet flush).
  • Nearly two-thirds of water used in Britain and Ireland is used in factories, hospitals and agriculture.
  • In schools about 60% of the total water consumption is used to flush the toilets.